Under the title of Middleware for collaborative Applications and Global vIrtual Communities, the MAGIC project started its two year race in May 1st, 2015, and with the participation of 19 NRENs and RENs from all over the world, and the powerfull commitment of their representatives, translated into many hours of work, after 10 months the project results certainly demonstrate that the only way of growing together is by collaborating.
One of the project objectives was to establish a small set (meaning three) of relevant user communities working on areas/topics that are of high interest in a significant number of world regions. So far four Global Science Communities (GSC) have been raised, one in e-Health, other in Biodiversity, one on Environment and finally one on Remote Instrumentation. Each one of these GSC had its first virtual meeting during last February, introducing their objectives and action route to all the interested scientists all over the world. You can access all the presentations given and to the videos of these meetings by clicking in the following links and exploring its contents:
- GSC meeting on e-Healt, February 2: https://eventos.redclara.net/indico/event/634/overview
- GSC meeting on Biodiversity, February 11: https://eventos.redclara.net/indico/event/639/overview
- GSC meeting on Environment, February 18: https://eventos.redclara.net/indico/event/640/overview
- GSC meeting on Remote Instrumentation, February 25: https://eventos.redclara.net/indico/event/641/overview
In capacity building, face to face training sessions on Authorisation and Authentication Infrastructures, eduroam and NRENum.net have been carried out in Latin America, the Caribbean and the Arab States. In addition an on-line course on NRENum.net and DNS Configuration has been set on-line in English, French and Spanish, and it is fully opened to all those who are interested in NRENum, and mainly targeted to those NRENs that want to offer their member institutions the possibility of registering their equipments of videoconference and of voice over Ip in this global directory. Access to the course:
- In English: http://cursos.redclara.net/course/view.php?id=48
- In Spanish: http://cursos.redclara.net/course/view.php?id=47
- In French: http://cursos.redclara.net/course/view.php?id=49
Since the project started El Salvador, Ecuador, Mexico, Uruguay, Chile and Sri Lanka have become members of NRENun.net (an end-user ENUM service run by the GÉANT Association (formerly TERENA) and participating NRENs).
Last but surely not least, three countries have become project members through their NRENs and MAGIC project assignment of Memorandums of Understanding: Argentina, Ethiopia and Moldova.